Most of my friends know me as having a major sweet-tooth. This reputation does not come from my love of cakes, cookies, or sweet breads, but more from my love of candy! Sure, I love a good cake, but definitely have my favorites. Carrot Cake and Pumpkin Cake are two for which I would turn down even my most favored candy! Maybe it’s the cream cheese frosting…
My Grandmother, Mom, aunts, and sister, all make a killer carrot cake, but I first tasted Pumpkin Cake at our local pumpkin farm a few years back, and instantly fell in love.
My sister and I found a recipe online and modified it slightly to fit our tastes. The following is the recipe we now use, every Fall, to create some of the BEST cake around! (I wish I had a picture, but alas, this cute pumpkin will have to do!)
2 cups fresh pumpkin puree (or 1-16 oz can of Libby’s Pumpkin Puree)
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 beaten eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat pumpkin, sugar, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients, except nuts (if using) and gradually add to pumpkin mixture, beating until well blended.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan/dish.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes or until center tests done.
- Cool completely before frosting.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1-8oz package cream cheese
6 tablespoons softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4-2 cups confectioner’s sugar
3 teaspoons milk chopped walnuts (optional)
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add milk and beat until frosting is the spreading consistency you desire.
- Frost cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts if you like.
Let me know if you try my recipe for Punkin’ Cake and how you like it!